Today you should read: Zephaniah 2
A call to repentance.
That is the title of this chapter. The first three verses really sum up the whole book of Zephaniah. God is calling all the people in the whole world to gather together and repent before it is too late. He is calling them to be humble and seek Him before He pours out His anger on them.
This call is extended to us today also. We are called to do 5 things in these verses.
1. Gather together. We need to come together as God’s people and stop trying to live this life on our own. We were never meant to do that.
2. Act Now. Today is the day of salvation. No one can ever assume that they have until tomorrow to turn to God. Our life is a vapor, here for a moment and then gone.
3. Seek the Lord. Our only hope is to come to the Lord and ask for His mercy and grace.
4. Seek to do what is right. We need to be a people whose lives are characterized by goodness and love. What do people see in your life?
5. Live humbly. Remember, God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. Which would you rather have, God’s grace or opposition?
Praise the Lord that we can know that He will protect us. The end of verse 3 says “perhaps”. In Christ we can “know” the Lord will protect us. We can know that the anger on the “day of destruction” against our sins has been completely swallowed up in the cross. So I encourage you today to make these steps a part of your life and to thank Jesus today for giving a hope that is sure and certain.
Posted by: Robbie Byrd