Today you should read: Isaiah 62
Give God No Rest …
This is one of my favorite chapters in the entire Bible. God’s promises in this chapter bring me deep, soul-satisfying joy. God is promising that the mourning of His people will be turned into deep joy in Him. We see things like:
• Isaiah’s deep love for God’s people
• Isaiah’s deep prayer for God’s people
• Isaiah’s wish for God’s people to burn bright!
• The promise of the Lord delighting in His people and His people delighting in Him
• God’s people being renamed to “The City of God’s Delight” and “The Bride of God.”
• The picture of God rejoicing over His people like the bridegroom over His bride.
• The picture of the path being made for God’s people to return!
• The savior rescuing His people and bringing with Him the gifts of His victory, which are His people!!
This stuff is incredible. Especially in that it is speaking to the current situation as well as what is to come for God’s people through Jesus!!
On top of all of these truths, Isaiah speaks, perhaps, the most incredible truth about prayer in the entire Bible. In verses 6 – 9 Isaiah speaks of the Lord posting watchmen on the walls. He is speaking of “prophetic guardians” who were watching for God’s movement and praying for Him to fulfill His promises. But what it says next is incredible. God says, “Give me no rest.” In verses 6b-7, we read,
“Take no rest, all you who pray to the Lord.
Give the Lord no rest until he completes his work,
until he makes Jerusalem the pride of the earth.”
Through Isaiah, God says to His people, “Pray. And continue to pray. Give me no rest. Keep asking me. Over and over. Until I fulfill my promises to my people.” That’s incredible. And through this, my encouragement to you is to pray. Give God no rest. Because He has great things planned, to draw all people to Himself.”
Watch and listen to this “Sermon Jam” of Matt Chandler. Towards the end he quotes this verse, and it is powerful. I hope it spurs you on towards unceasing prayer.
Posted by: Sam Cirrincione