Today you should read: Leviticus 16
When you read Leviticus 16 you begin to see how much God detests sin. We forget… we see our sin as trite, harmless acts that really don’t matter all that much. After all – just a prayer of confession and we’re good right?
Thank God for the cross! Jesus paid it all – all our sin was laid on Him and He atoned for it.
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:2
Before the cross – the only bandaid for sin was animal sacrifice. The steps were detailed and laborious.
- Young bull and ram sacrificed for the priest’s sin (v.3)
- Wear the right priestly clothes in the prescribed was (v.4)
- Two male goats for a sin offering a ram for burnt offering (v.5)
- One of the goats for a sin offering – one as a scapegoat (v.9-10)
- Incense and burning coals (v.11-13)
- Sprinkle the blood from the bull seven times (v.14)
- All done the correct time involving the correct participants
All of this and more – just to temporarily “atone” for the sins of the people. Every year – over and over. Then God sent Jesus to become the eternal sacrifice for our sins.
It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. Therefore, when Christ came into the world… And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Hebrews 10:4-5a, 10
Some things to Ponder on Today…
- The cost and seriousness of our sin
- The price Jesus paid
- The awesomeness of being completely forgiven
Posted by: Tim Parsons