Obedience is doing what you’re told, when you’re told, with the right heart attitude.
Obedience is a critical element to living a life that pleases God. Now, don’t get confused about this – if you’ve come into a relationship with God through Jesus, YOU are ALWAYS pleasing to God – He loves you and sees you through the blood of Christ. But, the way we live our lives is not always pleasing to God.
Obedience is not:
- Partial obedience (doing part or most of what God tells you)
- Doing it whenever you get around to it
- Doing it your own way
That’s the trap Abram fell into. God promised to make a great nation from him and from his descendants to bless all peoples of the world. The problem was he and Sarai (his wife) weren’t getting any younger and God didn’t seem to be coming through. So, they took matters into their own hands.
Any idea what problems this caused?
- It caused family problems – (Sarai said) This is all your fault (Abram)! The LORD will show who’s wrong you or me! (v.5)
- It caused political problems – Ishmael runs away and goes on to become the father of the nation that would oppose Israel forever – …he will live in open hostility against all of his relatives. (v. 12)
- It caused spiritual problems – disobedience always does!
God had a plan for Abram and Sarai – and He would work that plan in His time. His timing is always right – and when we rush things – ours can be quite wrong.
Walk in obedience to all that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess. Deuteronomy 5:33
THOUGHTS TO PONDER
- What has God asked me to do that I have not yet done?
- What has God asked me to stop doing that I continue to do?
- Have I obeyed God part way? … or my way?
- What do I need to repent of and change?
By: Tim Parsons