What a love story! No movie script was ever better.
- Abraham loves his son Isaac and sends his servant to find a wife for him
- God prospers the servant and rewards him with success
- He brings Rebekah back home to meet Isaac
- Love at first sight!
- Isaac and Rebekah get married
- They have children – one’s name is Jacob
- Jacob has 12 sons that become the 12 tribes of Israel
- From one of them would come the earthly lineage of the Messiah – Jesus
Now imagine for a second what could have happened if the players weren’t obedient to the Lord? What if the servant didn’t obey Abraham or didn’t look to God for help? What if Rebekah decided to take the day off – or didn’t act respectfully to a servant she didn’t even know? What if Laban refused to allow her to go? What if Isaac wanted to do things his own way and find a bride himself there in his homeland instead of obeying his father? What if?
The decisions we make have great consequences. What seems like small things have BIG effects.
Questions to ponder on:
- What are some small things you’ve failed to obey God in?
- How have you seen consequences have BIG affects?
By: Tim Parsons