I hope you’re enjoying Matthew so far! Today’s reading is about the temptation of Christ.
A couple of important facts about temptation:
- God doesn’t tempt us. Jesus was tempted by the devil.
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil. (v.1)
- But God does allow it; nothing comes into the life of a believer that God doesn’t first get His approval.
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28
In this passage we see the three temptations of Christ that correspond directly to the temptations we experience.
For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. 1 John 2:16
TEMPTATION 1: Craving for Physical Pleasure (v.2-4)
…turn these stones into bread – aren’t you hungry?
- How does Satan use your flesh to tempt you?
- What are your greatest temptations of the flesh (or physical)?
TEMPTATION 2: Pride (v.5-7)
…if you are the Son of God… then you will… (prove it)
- How does your pride trip you up most often?
TEMPTATION 3: Craving for everything we see (v.8-10)
…I’ll give you everything you see
- How does materialism tempt you?
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are–yet was without sin. Hebrews 4:15
- How does knowing this bring you peace?
Jesus life was designed and recorded to show us how to live. So… how did HE handle temptation? The same way EVERY time …as it is written!
You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. John 15:3
I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11
How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. Psalm 119:9
- Undoubtedly you will face temptation today – how will you handle it? The same way you have been?
- What can you learn from today’s reading that will change that?
By: Tim Parsons