For a Child is born to us, a Son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6
In this Scripture we find the message and meaning of Christmas. Isaiah the prophet gave five awe-inspiring names of our Lord that encourage us, thrill us, and fill us with hope at this Christmas season.
1. Wonderful. When He did His many miracles, the Scripture says, “The people wondered” (Luke 11:14, KJV).
2. Counselor. The people said, “No one ever spoke the way this man does” (John 7:46, NIV).
3. The Mighty God. He is the God-Man. He said that He and the Father are one (John 10:30).
4. The Everlasting Father. It was by Him, the living Word, that all things were created. He is the designer of the whole universe (John 1:3; Hebrews 11:3).
5. The Prince of Peace. There will never be lasting peace on earth until He comes again to reign in righteousness. But He is also the Prince of Peace in other ways. None can have peace with God apart from Him and the peace that He made through the blood of His cross (Colossians 1:20).
The full meaning of these words from Isaiah should give us enough strength, hope, and joy to face any crisis, endure any sorrow, and meet any temptation. How has Jesus shown you recently that He is “Wonderful, Counselor … the Prince of Peace”?
(Devotional credit: Billy Graham’s Advent Devotional)